Building Newry & Mourne

Map of Newry Baths Company Premises

This distinctive and attractive hand coloured map is of the Newry Baths Company premises, located between Newry Canal and Canal Street in Newry, County Down.

Closer examination reveals that the property, shown on the drawing by a red line, contains both a gymnasium and swimming baths. Undated and unsigned, it is likely to be from the 1880s.

Map of the Newry Baths Premises

Map of the Newry Baths Premises


The first recorded building on this site is entered in a Valuation Book of 1873 as a sawmill, workshop and shed belonging to Alexander Wheelan, a well known Newry building contractor. From 1878 onwards, the rear outbuilding is noted as a workshop.

In 1884, the entire scheme was leased by Wheelan to Newry Baths Ltd. The Newry Town Commissioners took over the running of the baths in 1892 and in 1912, the Irish Provincial Electric Theatre Co. Ltd moved into the site, when it was described as an office, theatre and house.

Its use as a cinema appears to have been short lived, as the premises became vacant in 1916. In 1921 they were taken over by David, Robert and Joseph McLean as a garage, and this usage continued until comparatively recently.*

*Source: Environmental & Heritage Service website

Next page - Warrenpoint NS » « Previous page - Bridewell

Top of page

This project is part financed by the European Union through the Interreg IIIA Programme managed for the Special EU Programmes Body by the East Border Region Interreg IIIA Partnership.

Visit the website

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Level Double-A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0